2 horse horsebox, 3.5t horsebox builders, brave, Equestrian, equihunter, Fire, fire service, horsebox fire, rescue, smoke
[News North Wales] A HEROIC passer-by rescued a horse from a trailer engulfed in flames.
Father-of-two Colin Davies showed no regard to his own safety. He said afterwards that he could not have lived with himself if he had done nothing and the horse had died.
The 38-year-old, from Strand Walk, Holywell, was leaving Burger King in Pentre Halkyn with his two teenage sons, moments before spotting the vehicle fire on the A55 at about 3pm on Bank Holiday Monday.
Mr Davies, who has a horse named Harvey himself, pulled over to assist as the flames took hold.
“I saw this horse box on fire. I’ve got a horse myself so I pulled over,” he said. “I wanted to try and help.
“There was a woman and her two children at the side of the road. She said they had to leap out of the vehicle because it caught fire.
“I asked if there was a horse in the horse box and she said there was but the fire service had advised her not to approach the vehicle.
“I tried to open the gate.
“I couldn’t get the hydraulics to work.
“Other people pulled over then there were three of us trying to pull the gate open.”
Mr Davies said the fire service arrived, and officers helped him open the gate to gain entry, as other officers battled the flames.
“I told the fire service that I’m a horse owner and if they could get the back open, I’d go in and get the horse,” he said.
“There was a lot of black smoke.
“I climbed in and unhooked the horse and got her out.
“She was crying out at first but then she was fine.
“The woman’s daughter at the side of the road was beside herself.
Read the full story at News North Wales
News North Wales
2nd September, 2015
Published by: Jamie Nield-Siddall
Read more articles by Jamie Nield-Siddall Email reporter
You must be logged in to post a comment.